Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Hit and Miss Shampoos... Argan Secret Shada and Toni & Guy Cleanse

When I completely ran out of shampoo a few weeks ago (which shocked me to my very core, since I am a hair product junkie and have obviously let things slip to a frightening extent :) I ran out to Sally's for an emergency purchase. I picked up Argan Secret's Shada Luxury Sulphate-Free Shampoo, enticed by its argan oil, willow bark and hempseed oil ingredients and its promise to protect my coloured hair whilst delivering a hefty dose of moisture.

Initially I was totally impressed. My hair felt soft, moisturised and clean. For the first few washes this feeling continued, but eventually, the build up took over. After about 3 weeks, no matter how much I rinsed and rinsed, my hair never felt clean and some days actually just felt oily and gross.

I decided to switch, and on another whim whilst shopping in Boots I got Toni & Guy's Cleanse Volumising Shampoo for Fine Hair. I used it once, and WOW! Back to super clean hair, and such amazing volume! My hair felt transformed, and the build up I felt I'd been carrying around with me was completely gone.


I've since tried to use the Argan Secret again, thinking I'd now got rid of the build up of product and could go back to the initial great results I had with this shampoo, but was disappointed to find my hair was just as oily and yucky immediately. I just don't think sulphate-free agrees with my hair type - lots and lots of very fine hair, dry on the ends but with a tendency to get oily fast at the roots. I have used Liz Earle's shampoo before which I loved but found the build up also occurred, although not to the same gross extent as with this one.

I'm determined not to be beaten and will give the Argan Secret one final try so I can be absolutely sure it doesn't work for me! After all, argan oil, hempseed oil and willow bark sound like the kind of things I want to be washing my hair with. Plus it smells amazing - slightly herbal but also kind of sultry, like some exotic perfume. But I may have to admit defeat :( But at least I found the Toni & Guy shampoo! I highly recommend it for fine hair. Plus it smells fresh and clean, and I really like the bottle.

Have you tried either of these, or what are your opinions on sulphate free shampoos?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I know this post is old but I thought I'd chime in. Without sulfate, your hairs natural oils stay in place, and it can take a good month (or a few!) for your scalp to adjust its oil production appropriately. Until that time, the ends can feel dry and the roots too oily. Once your natural oils move down the shaft this ends. Also, water hardness makes buildup in sulfate free shampoos! If you only wash twice a week, sulfate frees are beautiful; just have to let your scalp adjust to the less frequent washes. Good luck!